Curatorial Fellowship for Diversity in the Arts
The Fellowship is now closed for application. Applications under review.
Walker Art Center seeks applicants for our esteemed Curatorial Fellowship for Diversity in the Arts program.
The Curatorial Fellow will participate alongside Visual Arts curators in all phases of exhibition development, including: research; checklist development; lender and artist relations; publication development; writing texts for exhibition interpretation, acquisitions, online content, and press and promotional materials; exhibition floor plan development; installation; and development of interpretive programs related to exhibitions. The Fellow will also assist with other departmental support including acquisitions research, preparation for presentations, leading tours, and donor relations.
About the program:
This two-year fellowship continues to support Walker’s goal to encourage greater diversity, equity, inclusion and access within the museum field. The fellowship has been offered continually since the early 1990’s. Our fellowship alum now play prominent roles within many museums throughout the world, including, including The Museum of Modern Art; The Art Institute of Chicago; the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art; Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston; SITE Santa Fe; the DIA Art Foundation; the Carnegie Museum of Art, Andy Warhol Museum; the New Museum, New York; the Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego; the Hammer Museum, Los Angeles; and here at the Walker!
In our terms, diversity refers to a wide spectrum of people of color, people with disabilities, age, gender and other classifications. Qualified candidates who have backgrounds rich in cultural and artistic diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants will have:
- M.A. degree in art history, museum studies, or a related field (e.g. history, cultural studies, etc.). Exceptional B.A. degree-holders in these fields will be considered if they have significant museum or gallery experience.
- Familiarity and comfort with modern and contemporary art
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Significant museum or gallery experience preferred
- Applicants who are multilingual (written and verbal) are strongly encouraged to apply
- Fellowship begins June 2017 and ends June 2019
- Salary $30,000/year plus $2,000 travel allocation per year for travel related to professional development activities and/or relocation
- Excellent benefits package, museum discounts, Walker membership, and the opportunity to work alongside talented individuals as well as support some remarkable artists, events, and programming
- Full-time, 35 hours per week Please note: International candidates must secure at their expense and be in possession of a valid US work visa for entire fellowship duration.
Please send complete applications materials* as MS Word or PDF attachments only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
*Application materials must include:
- Letter of interest
- Names of 3 references with contact information
- 2 writing samples: one sample under 10 pages, and one short text written to a general audience.
Application deadline is April 7, 2017 We respectfully ask that there be no phone calls or follow-up emails.
In striving for a more inclusive and diverse team, people of color, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups and others who may contribute to further diversification of ideas and knowledge are strongly encouraged to apply. Walker Art Center is a proud and committed EEO/AA employer dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.