- 92.270.1 (cover)
- Courtesy Walker Art Center
All content including images, text documents, audio, video, and interactive media published on the Walker website (walkerart.org) is for noncommercial, educational, journalistic and/or personal use only. Any commercial use or republication is strictly prohibited. Copying, redistribution, or exploitation for personal or corporate gain is not permitted.
For information on the use of reproductions for publishing and/or commercial use, please contact email@example.com.
- Zeichnungen zu Leonardo Codices Madrid (Drawings for Leonardo Codices Madrid)
- Joseph Beuys
- .1 book 0.875 × 6.875 × 9.25 inches
- 81 Granolithographs on paper, bound into a book, with one loose Granolithograph on paper, in cardboard slipcase
- Not on view
- Mixed Media (Multiples)
- Accession Number
- 103/1000 (book); 3/100 (loose sheet)
- In pencil front of loose sheet left panel M “Beuys” (when loose sheet is unfolded and open as in reproduced example 177 in Schellmann 1992 catalogue raisonn√©); In pencil on page 156 of book “103”; front of loose sheet left panel M “Beuys”; front of loose sheet LL “3/100” (when sheet is unfolded and open as in reproduced example 177 in Schellmann 1992 catalogue raisonn√©); on slipcase front UR “Nr. 103/I”.
- Physical Description
- This 156-page book contains 81 Granolithographs reproduced from Beuys’ drawings for the two sketchbooks, the “Madrid Codices”, by Leonardo da Vinci, rediscovered in 1965. Examples 101‚Äì1000 of the book each contain a single loose sheet, and the loose sheets are done in nine different themes in an edition of 100 examples each. See 1992 Schellmann catalogue raisonn√© numbers 177‚Äì185 for the nine different themes. The Walker’s loose sheet matches the image on number 177. Label on book spine reads: Joseph Beuys/Zeichnungen/zu “Codices/Madrid” von/Leonardo/da Vinci. According to a fax dated March 8, 1995 from Edition Schellmann, “non-matching numbers are not a big deal” e.g. the fact that the book’s number does not match the loose sheet’s number in this multiple is apparently NO BIG DEAL.
- Matthieu AG, Dielsdorf (Zurich)
- Credit Line
- Alfred and Marie Greisinger Collection, Walker Art Center, T. B. Walker Acquisition Fund, 1992